If the heat leaves you craving a lighter supper choice, this crowd-pleasing, vegetarian starter can be made ahead and eaten later. You also get a good dose of vitamin C and one of your five-a-day with each serving.
What you need:
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 slice white bread, crusts removed and torn
- 500ml passata
- 300ml Sadie’s Kitchen Comforting Chicken Bone Broth
- 5 tbsp olive oil, plus extra
- 4 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Tabasco or harissa
- 1 tsp sugar
- basil leaves, to serve
What to do:
- Put the onion, garlic, pepper, tomatoes, and bread in a food processor and blend until finely chopped, but not too smooth. Tip into a large bowl with the passata, bone broth, oil, vinegar, Tabasco or harissa, sugar, and seasoning. Mix well, cover the bowl with cling film, and put in the fridge for at least 2 hrs or overnight.
- To serve, pour into a small bowl, drizzle over a little olive oil, and top with some basil leaves.