We’re in for a scorcher this coming weekend, so if you’re planning a (safe!) al fresco gathering with a barbeque taking centre stage, we have the perfect accompaniment to your main course. This salad is cooling, zingy and full of texture thanks to the crushed pistachios and chunky pickles – a perfect taster for hot summer days.
What you need:
- 5 whole dill pickles
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1 tbsp of salted pistachios shelled and crushed
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 4 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt for seasoning
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp honey
- Handful chopped fresh dill
What to do:
- Using some pickle juice add your white wine vinegar, honey, mustard, a pinch of sea salt and pepper and chili flakes and whisk into an emulsion – this will be your dressing
- Cut your pickles into good-sized chunks for extra texture.
- Finely slice your white onion and fennel
- Combine the fennel and onion in a bowl and add your pistachios and a tablespoon of the dressing. Reserve the rest for plating and scatter fresh dill before serving.