To mark the end of a decidedly wet and rainy week, nothing tastes quite like a piping hot bowl of Tom Yum soup. This dish is a firm favourite here in Sadie’s HQ; characterised by its distinct hot and sour flavours, fragrant spices and herbs generously used in our bone broth. And it’s quick and simple to make – perfect if you want a delicious dish without tons of prep.
What you need:
- 1 lemongrass
- 2 garlic cloves
- Thumb-sized ginger piece, thinly sliced
- 1 birds-eye chilli, halved
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 packs (350ml) of Sadie’s Kitchen Chicken Bone Broth
- 125g button mushrooms, quartered
- 150g raw peeled prawns
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (1 thinly sliced to serve)
- Put the chicken stock into a pan over medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Add in the lemongrass, ginger, chilli, garlic and torn lime leaves, turn down and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and mushrooms, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add prawns and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until pink, then remove from heat.
- Take out the lemongrass, lime leaves and garlic, and discard.
- Season with the sugar, lime juice and fish sauce.
- Serve with sliced lime leaf.
Photograph: Shilpa Kiran, @Soulful_and_Healthy