Chicken casserole is a classic, and made to be a slow cooker recipe. Chicken becomes melt-in-the-mouth tender after a few hours of gentle simmering. Slow cookers maximise the flavours of your ingredients and for this one, we recommend browning the meat and veg beforehand, as it enhances the flavour of the dish even more overall.
What you need:
- Knob of butter
- ½ tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp flour
- 650g boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g baby new potatoes, halved
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 250g mushrooms, quartered
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 15g dried porcini mushroom, soaked in 50ml boiling water
- 500ml Sadie’s Kitchen Comforting Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard, plus extra to serve
- 2 bay leaves
What to do:
- Heat a knob of butter and ½ tbsp rapeseed or olive oil in a large frying pan, cook 1 finely chopped large onion until softened and starting to caramelise.
- Meanwhile, put 1 ½ tbsp flour and a little salt and pepper in a bowl and toss 650g boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets in it.
- Add 3 crushed garlic cloves and the chicken to the pan and cook for 4-5 mins more until the chicken is starting to brown.
- Transfer to your slow cooker, along with chopped tomatoes, 400g halved baby new potatoes, 2 diced celery sticks, 2 diced carrots, 250g quartered mushrooms, 15g dried and soaked porcini mushrooms with the 50ml soaking liquid, 500ml chicken bone broth, 1 tsp of sugar
- and white wine vinegar and 2 tsp Dijon mustard and 2 bay leaves.
- Give the mixture a good stir. Cook on low for 7 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve with a little Dijon