October is made for cosy comfort food that not only warms your bones, but tastes delicious too! This gorgeous chicken soup with a kick of ginger is just like mam used to make, but super easy to prepare yourself. The vegetables give it some added crunch and texture. Dip some of your favourite bread in and you’ve got a soup that will make the dullest of days instantly better.
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons ginger, grated fresh ginger
- 1 pack (350ml) of Sadie’s Kitchen Chicken Bone Broth – or 500ml of vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2- to 2 1/2-pound rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 scallions, sliced
How to prepare:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the broth.
- Stir in the parsnips, carrots, celery, turnip, and ½ teaspoons salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a fork shred the chicken meat, discarding the skin and bones.
- Add the chicken, peas, and scallions to the saucepan and cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes.