What you need:
- 1.5 tsp of dried thyme
- 1.5 tsp of ground ginger
- 1.5 tsp of ground coriander
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (for cooking)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 white or red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- 200g of button mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 handfuls of fresh washed spinach leaves
- 250g of Pearl Barley, rinsed
- 1 pack (350ml) of Sadie’s Kitchen Chicken Bone Broth – or 500ml of vegetable or chicken stock
- 300ml of water
- A twist of black pepper
How to prepare:
- Set a pot on a medium heat on the hob or stove, and add the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and onions, and sweat the onions until translucent (usually 3-4 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms and broccoli florets, then cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the thyme, coriander and ginger and mix well.
- Add the pearl barley, followed by the broth (or stock) and water.
- Stir everything together and bring to the boil.
- Once at boil, turn the heat down to a simmer and simmer for 30-35 minutes until the pearl barley is cooked. Add extra liquid during this time if the risotto dries out – make sure to check on it every ten minutes or so!
- Finally, add the spinach leaves and simmer for another 2-3 minutes while they wilt into the barley.
- You’re good to go!