Who says you can’t win friends with salad?
This vibrant, fibre packed bowl of goodness from The Irish Balance is so filling and has such wonderful crunch and texture. Ideal for work lunches or as a yummy side for a BBQ with friends.
Fresh, delicious, AND good for you!
What you need:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + 1 tsp ground cinnamon (for the chickpeas)
- 200g uncooked quinoa
- 350ml Sadie’s Kitchen Bone Broth + 50ml water
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper, with core and seeds removed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- A twist of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
What to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven), for roasting the chickpeas and red pepper. Line a baking tray with tinfoil.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas from the tin, and place in a small bowl. Drizzle the olive oil and cinnamon on top, and stir until coated using a spoon.
- Slice the pepper into long strips, and place them with the chickpeas onto your tray. Roast for 10 minutes, turning halfway.
- Add the quinoa, stock and water to a pot, stir, and set on a high heat until boiling, then turn down the heat to a simmer, and cook until your quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid (usually about 7-10 minutes, but keep checking).
- When the quinoa is done, add the ginger, stir and then cover the pot, leaving it stand while you prep the other ingredients.
- When the chickpeas and pepper strips are done, leave aside to cool for 5 minutes, then slice the pepper strips into smaller chunks.
- Take a large mixing bowl, and add your quinoa, broccoli florets, pumpkin seeds, lentils, chickpeas and red pepper.
- Make up your dressing, and drizzle it on top of the salad.
- Give the mixture one last big stir so all ingredients are coated.
- Et voila – your super salad is complete! Plate up, and tuck in!