Here at Sadie’s HQ, we’re happily obsessed with ramen. This prawn variation is probably the best one we’ve done so far. Who wouldn’t enjoy a warming bowl of aromatic flavoured broth with juicy prawns, vegetables and noodles? Try it for dinner this week – you won’t be disappointed.
What you need:
- 300g cooked prawns
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup scallions, sliced
- 2 (3 oz) packs dried ramen noodles
- 3 packs (350ml) of Sadie’s Kitchen Chicken Bone Broth
- 3/4 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp sesame or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 3 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 500ml water
- 1 oz dried shitake mushrooms (or 1/2 cup fresh)
- 1-2 tsp sea salt, to taste
- Season to taste, with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Make the ramen broth:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, until shimmering.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the soy sauce and mirin, and stir to combine. Cook for another minute.
- Add the stock, cover, and bring to boil.
- Remove the lid, and let simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, then add the dried mushrooms.
- Simmer gently for another 10 minutes, and season with salt, to taste.
Make the soft-boiled eggs:
- Fill a pot with enough water to cover the eggs, and bring to a boil.
- Gently lower the eggs (still cold from the fridge) into the boiling water, and let simmer for 7 minutes (for a slightly-runny yoke) or 8 minutes (for a soft, but set-up yoke).
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice water.
- When the timer finishes, transfer the eggs to the ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Wait at least 5 minutes, or until cool enough to handle, then carefully peel away the shell and slice in half, lengthwise.
- Set aside until ready to serve.
Add the cooked prawns to the broth and allow to warm for 2 minutes.
Assemble the ramen bowls:
- Meanwhile, chop the scallions and jalapeño (if using).
- Slice the cooked chicken into thin pieces. Set aside. When the eggs finish cooking, add the ramen noodles to the boiling water.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until soft, then divide the noodles into two large bowls.
- Add the sliced chicken and the ramen broth.
- Top with the fresh scallions, and the soft boiled egg.
- Serve immediately.
Photographs: Nathalie Marquez Courtney. Styled by Jette Virdi