You’ll love this tasty, hearty Italian minestrone soup, brimming with vegetables, beans and pasta. Ideal as the cooler evenings draw in and you need to warm your bones! This easy-to-follow recipe is the perfect, quick weeknight dinner, and you can make it ahead to use as lunch for the next week.
What you will need:
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 red onion
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 courgette
- 1 small leek
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 x 400 g tin of cannellini beans
- 2 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
- olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 400 g tin of canned tomatoes
- 2 packs of Sadie’s Kitchen Boosting Beef Bone Broth
- ½ head of savoy cabbage or curly kale
- 100 g wholemeal pasta
- ½ a bunch of fresh basil (optional)
- Parmesan cheese
What to do:
- Peel and finely chop the garlic, onion, carrots, celery and courgette, wash and cut the leek into 1cm slices then add to a large bowl.
- Wash, peel and dice your potatoes, drain the cannellini beans and set aside. Cut the rasher into small pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the bacon and fry gently for 2 minutes, or until golden.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrots, celery, courgette, leek, oregano and bay and cook slowly for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the dices of potato, cannellini beans and canned tomatoes, then pour in the beef stock. Stirring well. Cover with lid and slowly bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes or until potato is cooked through.
- Add the greens and pasta to the pan for a further 10 minutes until pasta is soft enough to eat. Add a splash more water or beef stock as needed.
- Add in the bay leaf and basil and mix through, season with salt and pepper and serve with a grating of parmesan and a slice of crusty bread.