Congee is regarded as the ultimate Chinese comfort food. A savoury rice dish, it’s traditionally eaten in the morning, but we prefer to prepare it in advance as a set-it-and-forget-it dinner. It can be served with or without chicken, but we think the addition of this gives it extra flavour, texture and bite. Simple, satisfying and so tasty.
What you need:
- 150g sushi rice or long-grain rice
- 3 packs Sadie’s Comforting Chicken Bone Broth
- 2/3 chicken breasts, diced
- Soy sauce
- Spring onions, thinly sliced
- Fresh ginger, finely chopped
- Sesame oil
What to do:
- Rinse and drain the rice.
- Put the rice in a pot with the broth and bring to boil. Stir rice well, ensuring none sticks to the bottom of the pot, then lower the heat and half-cover the pan. Simmer gently for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes, until the congee is thick. When it’s ready, the congee will have the consistency of oatmeal. Cook the chicken breast, seasoning the chicken and congee lightly with salt.
- Serve the congee with chicken, a sprinkling of soy sauce, spring onion and ginger and a few drops of sesame oil.