Chilli Con Carne is a great option for families as you can bulk it out with extra beans, veg or even lentils. This particular variation is packed with flavour thanks to a secret ingrediant – dark chocolate! Yes really! It makes it extra rich and dark in colour. It freezes really well, so double up on the quantities below and get a head start on next week too!
What you need:
- Olive oil
- 1kg of beef mince
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 pack of beef bone broth
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 2 tins of kidney beans, rinsed
- 4 tbsp of tomato puree
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 50g of 85% dark chocolate
- 2 tsp of cumin
- 2 tsp of coriander
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped (fried chilli flakes work too)
- Salt & pepper to taste
What to do:
- Heat some oil in a large pan and fry the onion, garlic and mince until the onion softens and begins to turn translucent.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, stirring well to combine.
- Bring to the boil and then pop a lid on top and reduce to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer for at least one hour, but the longer the better.
- Season to taste.
- Garnish with some fresh coriander and a sprinkle of cheese. Serve with rice and sour cream and a lime wedge on the side.