With Portugal and Uruguay kicking off tonight we thought we’d share a Portuguese national favourite.
Portuguese Kale and Chourico Soup is the ultimate comfort food because of its warm flavours and textures. Originated in Northern Portugal, Caldo Verde as it’s known as or (Green Broth in English) is a Portuguese soup made with potatoes, collard greens, chourico or linguica. We love that it’s essentially bacon and cabbage based too!
What you need:
2 large potatoes peeled
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
8 tbsp olive oil plus more for serving
450g sausage (chorizo or linguiça), thinly sliced
Handful of your preferred greens, cabbage works well here- thoroughly washed
4 slices of thinly cut bacon
3 packs of Sadie’s Comforting Chicken Bone Broth
Salt and pepper to taste
How to prepare:
- Start by chopping the greens. Cut them crossway into very thin strips.
- In a large saucepan, add the peeled potatoes, the chopped onion, the minced cloves of garlic, the olive oil and Sadie’s Comforting Chicken Bone Broth. Bring it to the boil over high heat and then simmer until the potatoes are tender and ready to be mashed (about 20 min).
- Mash the potatoes and bring them back to the pot.
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Add the greens, stir, and cook for 15 more minutes.
- In a large frying pan, fry the bacon and the sausage until browned. Add the bacon/sausage into the mixture and cook until the soup boils again.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Serve hot with extra olive oil and add more potatoes for extra creaminess.