Who else can’t believe that it’s January already? Over the Christmas period we all had our fill of plenty of undoubtedly stodgy foods, so I always like to think the start of a new year is the time, not to skimp on the meals we love, but just go for some lighter alternatives as we get back into the swing of things. This tasty, easy-to-prepare Mexican Chicken Noodle Soup is a one pot meal you can make in under in 30 minutes (using some of our delicious bone broth, of course!). And for a vegan option, simply substitute chickpeas for the chicken.
What you need:
- 1-2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion – diced
- 4 garlic cloves- roughly chopped
- 3 chicken breast diced into cubes (or two cans chickpeas, drained)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tomato – diced
- 1 small can diced green chilies (optional)
- 1 pack (350ml) of Sadie’s Kitchen Chicken Bone Broth
- 4 cups water
- 4 ounces dry linguini noodles (or pasta, or gluten-free or rice noodles)
- Juice of one lime
- Garnish with avocado slices, scallions and lime
How to prepare:
- In a large heavy bottom pot, saute onion in 1-2 T olive oil over med-high heat for two minutes.
- Add chicken and garlic. Saute 5-6 minutes until it begins to brown, stirring often.
- Add salt and spices, oregano and cook 1 more minute. Add tomato, chilies, stock and water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, add pasta. Bring to a boil once more, turn heat to medium, and simmer ten minutes or until pasta is done cooking.
- Squeeze the lime, taste, adjust salt if necessary.
- Note: if substituting chickpeas, saute with the garlic for just a couple minutes before continuing with the recipe.
Place in bowls and top with sliced avocado and scallions and serve with a wedge of lime.