Scrumptious and elegant, Sadie’s Kitchen spin on the French classic, beef bourguignon, is the perfect dish to add to your repertoire this festive season. A big pot goes a long way when served with creamy mash potatoes for dinner, or delicious crusty bread at lunchtime. Perfect for a festive gathering, or just for a change from the traditional turkey and ham.
What you need:
- 1 pack of Sadie’s Kitchen Boosting Beef Bone Broth
- 1 bottle of fruity, dry red wine
- 1 large white onion, chopped into thick chunks
- 4 large carrots, cut into large rounds
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- A couple of sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g butter
- 500g of pancetta, or thick-cut bacon
- 10 – 12 small shallots
- 200g button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1kg of stewing beef
How to Prepare:
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C.
- Heat the wine in a pan, along with the onion, half the carrots and garlic, and the herbs. Bring to the boil and simmer until it has reduced by half.
- In a heavy-set casserole dish, heat the oil over medium heat and fry the bacon. Once cooked, remove from dish and set aside.
- Add in the butter, along with the mushrooms and onions and sauté until the onions turn translucent. Then remove from the pan.
- Coat the beef lightly in flour and add to the pan in batches, turning the heat up.
- Strain the reduced wine into the pan and add in the beef bone broth.
- Add in the beef, mushrooms, shallots and remaining carrots and garlic
- Cover with a lid and pop it into the oven for 3 hours.
- Serve with creamy mash potatoes.